11.10.2009

An explanation. A few rules.

Well, hello. Welcome to the musings of a single, bookish girl.

This blog stems from two of my most recent well-intentioned thoughts, both of which have been inspired by silly articles about even sillier people.

The first thought was that I should read a book a week for an entire year, which stemmed from this article in The New York Times. How crazy is this woman? I thought, upon reading. She is an entire shoe box full of crazy! But she makes a good point. Why can't we commit to reading a book a week? Imagine how many pages we could read in the time we spend checking email and watching reruns of "Mystery Diagnosis."

The second thought was that I should go on one date a week for an entire year, which stemmed from this article in O Magazine. How crazy is this woman? I thought, upon reading. She is an entire shoe box full of crazy! But she makes a good point. Is it not freeing to think of first dates as small links towards a larger goal rather than wondering if each one is going to be the one?

Maybe these women have it right. Maybe we're the crazy ones, stressing over first dates and spending quality book time with the television. In an effort to find some form of emotional and intellectual conclusion (even if it is that books are better than men, which I am entirely prepared for), I'm stepping wildly out of my box in the most terrifying way I know how: dating and analyzing literature. Ideally I'd love for the books to contribute to the dates, and the dates to contribute to the books, but that is my controlling creative side getting in the way. We must not plan too thoroughly. We all must be prepared for the wild cards, the men who are most passionate about firearms and can't imagine life without ammo, the men who embalm bodies for a living, the men who are most inspired by the sword masters of the 15th century.

All real prospectives, by the way.

A few points for any of you who might be stopping by for the first time or poking around for clues:

1. All dates will be referred to by number. The man that I meet during the first week will be referred to as "One," the second week as "Two," and so on. If you feel that this is an objectification of men, take a deep breath, pour yourself a cup of tea, exhale, and enjoy. Also, my name is 104 (and no, that is not the number of men I have slept with), so the objectification goes both ways.

2. Second or third dates with the same man will count as a date for the week. I'm searching for enlightenment, not for the slut card I stopped carrying sometime around the end of college.

3. All books will be referred to by title and author. There's no need for secrecy in that arena.

4. All names used in this blog are made up. Any resemblances to people or places in your life are most likely in your head.

5. All book reviews will be posted on Saturday of each week.

6. All date reviews will be posted on Sunday of each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment